Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Ka Makani

Sometimes I’m overwhelmed by the significance of being here.

This place embodies so much of what is beautiful about humanity and the planet Earth. And as such things go, it also carries with it a burden of sadness and excruciating loss. Amazingly, these two aspects are inextricably linked.

To avoid being completely overcome, I have to tell myself that Hawai`i’s land, people, and culture are beautiful right now, in so many ways. That these things are unique and wonderful in their own right. And that what will come will come, and that I am lucky to be here in this moment.

If you have a broadband connection, I highly recommend listening to what I've come to think of as the only standard for Hawai`ian radio. Listen to Ka Makani at http://breezeofhawaii.com and click on their “Listen Now” link.

Admittedly, some of it is cheesy. But some of it makes me write things like this. I have never in my life been exposed to so much celebration of place like I have here. The music of the kama`aina is unabashed in its love for these islands, and it is remarkably affirming. So much so that I find Hawai`ian is suddenly my favorite musical genre.

No comments: