Monday, May 22, 2006

Dante's Business Trip

Like last year, I am being shipped off again to work the summer far away from home. It’s something I am loath to do, and very resistant to.

And I have found that although most people seem to agree that business travel is not something they’re excited about, I am of an apparently small minority who would prefer none at all, regardless of the destination. In mentioning the locales to which I may be sent, I have had “Oooh!” and “Awesome!” responses when all I can think of is how disruptive the travel is. How it keeps me away from a routine that is important to me and a man who is even more so.

Still, this year’s options are admittedly more favorable than last year’s.

Utah was smoggy, hot, and a cultural desert. I spent nearly two months in a concrete warehouse by day and a concrete hotel by night. It was odd to think of Utah Valley as the Promised Land for God’s Chosen People. It made me wonder what those people had done wrong to have that be their reward. That question remains unanswered, but my guess is that it’s their reward for being interminably dull.

This year, I may find myself in another desert, but not the cultural kind. Oregon and California are high on the list of probable destinations, and I’m relieved.

So although this sort of extended trip away from home is a Danteian nightmare for me, it is more palatable than it has been in the past. Rather than being sent to the Seventh Circle’s inner ring, for example, I’m merely headed for the Second or Third Circle. It seems reasonable to me, as I am not violent, but I love food, drink, and men. So I’m not thrilled with it, but at least it makes sense.

Still, who wouldn’t rather spend a summer in even the first sphere of Paradiso?

1 comment:

Sean said...

I hear Hell, Ring 2, is lovely this time of year, the dead souls being wisked around by the wind are in party mode and the wailing sounds faintly reminiscent of "woot! woot!" and Madonna's new album can be heard distantly in the back ground. Ok, so that still doesn't sound very good at all, but as you said it's better than some things. Come visit here in Purgatorio. It's not Paradiso, but the company is nice :)