Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sad Song

Sometimes I’m in the mood for a sad song. Sometimes I need the minor key because nothing else interlocks with my reality. My body chemistry. The little aches and pains.

And sometimes, when I hear a song that is sad, I feel like I hear the words. No, not the words - that’s not it. I feel the meaning. The way the hurt collects in the throat and in the heart, constricting them - tingling sour in the corners of the jaw and fluttering in the tummy like nervousness. Nervousness and loss.

Sometimes I’d like to write a sad song too, just so someone would hear it. And maybe the right person would hear it, someone who heard the story I was really telling. They could lie on their bed or sit in their cubicle and let a single tear drop because they realized someone else felt the same hurt.

And we’d never meet and it wouldn’t matter. Because that little truth would rescue us both.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spin me round again
and rub my eyes,
this can't be happening.
When busy streets, a mess with people
would stop to hold their heads heavy;
Hide and seek...

Lil said...

mmm. so so good in its pensive way. I wonder if you've read my thoughts of late?