Friday, September 02, 2005

Lei Bear Day

This weekend we will celebrate Labor Day and Lei Bear Day. It’s not Gay Pride, but, as Boulanger would say, it’s still “Homosexual Weekend.” Some of the friends who will be joining us would have been in New Orleans being decadent, but a certain storm you may have heard about changed their plans. We’re glad they’re here, and not there, needing help.

Our guest is still here, and thankfully, has managed to extend his stay. Apparently, he’s having a good time despite the fact that Head Chef and I are working during the days and the house is in full remodel and filled to the rim with dogs. He’s been the perfect sort of guest, and I’m so glad we’ve gotten to know him better.

I’m still feeling very dissociated, though. And irritable. Getting back into the groove has been very challenging, and I think part of it may have to do with the simple fact that the routine I left isn’t here any more. I have lots of questions and so very few answers.

Head Chef wants to know what the questions are, but there are so many that I keep losing track of them. It’s like walking into a record store with a mental list of everything you want to buy. By the time you get back out to your car with your new CDs, you realize that not one of them was on your list. But the list was also full of good, even important stuff. It’s just that you’ve already spent your money and it’s time to get on with the rest of your plans, so you don’t go back in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As someone who also had totally Gone Native when he first moved to Home, it sounds like you're irritable that it was interrupted.

The temporary routine was all about not just Going Native but Getting Native.

I think I know you at least well enough to say that a more fundamental thing/routine for you is simply being with the Head Chef. And I envy and am happy for both of you that that is so.

You'll get there in going native, sugartits. ;)

I'm glad you're back where you belong, Mame.