Monday, November 28, 2005

The Holiday That Merely Happened

This Thanksgiving was a piece of frozen cheesecake at Costco.

The pleasant woman cut the small wedges for eager passers-by. We thanked her and she smiled and we stepped a few feet away so that the next admirer could crowd in for their slice. What luck, to be there on that particular day, when samples of such a delicacy are available.

I’ve adored cheesecake for ages, you see. And so just the idea of cheesecake was titillating. I had scored a significant prize, and the decision to eat it or just to bask in my unexpected fortune took a couple of moments. Oh, to revel in it, so smooth and sweet with just the hint of sourness and a crunch of spiced crust.

Standing there in the aisle with large, impersonal glass freezers on each side of me, the vast grey concrete floor sprawling off in all directions under displays heaped with discount merchandise, I made a conscious choice between eating my small chunk of cake in one bite, or in two smaller ones. But my gluttonous nature won out, and I popped it into my mouth with an eager satisfaction.

And it was nice. Fine, even. I pressed it against my palate with my tongue, testing it for flavor and texture. It was a bit doughy, and the crust wasn’t really firm enough to provide contrast for the filling. It was mildly sweet, but that hint of cream cheese I anticipated was not there.

It was pleasant, but not enough. The woman who presented it was kind and the other customers there in the warehouse were polite. But taken as a whole, this year Thanksgiving was a disappointing cheesecake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

We made pumpkin cheesecake with ginger cookie crust amd a brandied cranberry topping. 32 ounces of cream cheese; 45 grams of fat per slice (before the whipped cream was added). You should have come to OUR HOUSE for thanksgiving. We still have some left over!

XO

Rick

Pastry Chef said...

If that's also metaphor for the rest of your Thanksgiving holiday weekend, then you're right. I should have.

Anonymous said...

Chef,

Metaphor is the only prayer I say these days. Yes, my weekend was pumpkin cheesecake, lovely and tasty enough that there is, indeed, some left over. If you were here I'd give you a slice, the very last piece, in fact. It's yours. It tastes something like this: a XXOO-crumb crust with a OOXX filling and XOXO topping, with a dollop of OXOX on top. All that, AND a cup of coffee.

R

Sean said...

We had pumpkin cheese cake with cranberry glaze. I don't know what the crust was but it was fantastic. It was unfortunately not a metaphor for my holiday, which was quite uneventful. Pleasant though, and I got quite a bit done 'round here. So here's to fabulous cheese cake, literal and metophoric, may your next holiday make you quiver in your pants with each and every bite.
XOXOX

Unknown said...

Lucky cheesecake