Monday, November 21, 2005

Nearly Sinless In The Garden

I had promised myself that I would sin this past Sunday. I dressed for sinning, and brushed my teeth and ate my breakfast fully intent on sinning. But I went out to the car to go sin, and I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Head Chef had been working on me all morning to play “hooky,” and I finally caved.

An apparently Christian woman at my office admonished me a few weeks ago for having worked the previous Sunday. “Oh, dear,” she said with grave disapproval, “that’s a sin.” I suppose she would take heart knowing that I neither worked on Sunday nor coveted my neighbor’s wife.

I’m hoping that perhaps I can avoid being stoned to death since I observed the Sabbath. Instead of committing a grievous sin, we went to the Foster Botanical Garden and observed beautiful specimens of tropical trees and plants, many of which are legally designated as “exceptional” and thus magically protected by a bronze plaque nailed to their trunks. I imagine them being infused with strange powers that selectively turn the blades of saws and indiscriminate pruning shears, but not the nails accompanying bronze plaques.

My co-worker might also be pleased to note that I did not create or worship other gods while there at the Garden. Well, OK, there was this one baobab tree that was particularly massive. Head Chef and I discussed that it seemed so logical for native cultures to see it as a link between the earthly world and some other plane. I could almost feel that link, myself, but I did not create a false god in the process.

I also did not: dishonor my parents, kill, commit adultery, steal, lie, or covet my neighbor’s property or his wife. I mean, please – like I’d covet his wife. Don’t get me wrong, she’s nice, but I’m not even into him let alone her.

OK, I may have blasphemed just little bit when I spotted that baobab tree. It’s really big, you gotta understand.

But I did not work on Sunday. Now that it’s Monday, I’m kinda wishing I had.

7 comments:

Sean said...

I was told by a student today that I am going to "Burn in the Fires of Hell." Sweet child she is... Maybe it's the looming Christmas holiday that has them all riled up.... I think they're just mad about Santa Clause taking over Jesus's holiday, and they're taking it out on the rest of us. So I told all 13 years of this girl that I was looking forward to the warmth of Hell, 'cause that's where the best parties are going to be. I'll see you guys there :)

Anonymous said...

Hell is other people telling you about sins and how they're like math, always adding or multiplying, but never dividing or subtracting. Hell is having your best friend tell you that being gay "is not what God intends for you"; it's also your mom kicking you out of the house for revealing you are gay. Hell is certainly steak and kidney pie or liver and onions. Hell is pancakes with anything less than real maple syrup and unsalted, organic butter. Hell is for children, because Pat Benatar says so. Hell is George Bush not being able to open the door and thinking, for only a second, that you might be trapped in the room with him FOR ALL ETERNITY. Hell is seeing unforgivable grammatical errors in the New York Times in which the contraction 'it's' is mistaken for the posessive 'its'. Hell is light beer or any champaigne other than Veuve Cliquot. Hell is neither a destination nor a tourist attraction, it's a journey. A trip to the corner store to fetch milk is also a journey, although nobody seems to feel the need to threaten others by discussing it, repeatedly. If religion is the opiate of the masses then hell is, without doubt, the methamphetamine.

Sean said...

"Hell is neither a destination nor a tourist attraction, it's a journey. A trip to the corner store to fetch milk is also a journey, although nobody seems to feel the need to threaten others by discussing it, repeatedly." LOL THAT, my friend, is genius! -Sean

Pastry Chef said...

Honestly, Rick, when you leave notes like that I wonder whether I should give up writing altogether, devote all my energies to it, or simply read more of yours.

Anonymous said...

Pastry Chef,

In reponse to your comment: No, never; as you wish; fine by me.

XO

Rick

P.S. Your blog rescues me from my (perilously dull) day-job!

Sean said...

Hey Mr. Pastry Chef, don't make me start pulling out genius phrases of yours, I'll hear no speak of you giving up writing.
xoxox

Unknown said...

The fact remains that the pastry chef is, in fact, a sinning whore. :)

Luff ya! Mean it!