Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Almost Ready

Chained to my desk, as I am, performing mindless tasks for hours, my mind drifts. And it's been drifting back to Brokeback Mountain over and over again.

It is wonderful that the film has become a commercial success. It is wonderful that the film has achieved critical acclaim. It is wonderful that the film has won Golden Globes and is a contender for an oscar. How wonderful.

But for those who haven't seen it, I can't tell you that the film, itself, is wonderful. It is pleading, desperate, lonely, sad, and tragic. It is very subtle and superbly executed. And it is haunting. As a gay man I can identify with both men, as I have known them in real life and I have known them through the stories of friends, and I have known them in my own fears.

It has been over three weeks since I saw the film. I cried then, and I still have to hold back when I think of it. I forget that Ennis and Jack are fictional, and I want to reach out to make things better - to rip open time and set things right.

But that's not the point of the story, either. It is about love. How wonderful it is to have, and how it rips us apart to deny.

I can't bring myself to see it again. But I will. And I'm almost ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally, someone who sees the movie like I do. Wonderfully done, absolutely...but I couldn't possibly leave feeling good about anything. All I could think was Thank God for the choices I made/opportunities I had.