Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Someone Else's Wisdom

I’ve been trying to find something to say to you. The little update you could read, and know what’s going on… And nothing. So much to say, but nothing sayable.

I was thinking today about a movie I never saw, or rather, a quote I almost didn’t hear. But I caught it one day while walking through the room while my sister watched Parenthood. It was something sage, something wise spoken by Grandma, not even aware of the wisdom she shared.
[Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]
Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.
I think of Grandma’s wisdom sometimes when I feel like Gil.

No comments: