Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Lament of The Resource Node

All work and no play makes Chef a very dull boy, indeed.

I have worked every single day since January 3rd, only once working less than 10 hrs. Most days have been 13 to 15 hour days. I’m tired and bored.

My dishes aren’t done, my laundry isn’t washed, and my trash just moves from point to point in the house, rather than being taken out. My poor dog has resorted to self-petting.

But I labor on. I iron my shirt and go to work, skip dinner, and eat quickly before bed. I read reports that I am working more than 451 of the 475 Resource Nodes currently operating within my Western Profit Unit. I am unimpressed.

But I am certainly not flattered or honored, either. Pshaw.

Nor am I resentful. I, the worker, am disassociated from my work. I do it because I must, not because I care or despite the fact that I hate it. I am an efficient Resource Node. I provide high quality output.

And it will end, and I will have a brief respite. Then perhaps I will be redistributed to where Resource Nodes are in short supply.

I am tired, though. Tired of being a Resource Node. Tired of being so busy that I’m bored. My mother once said that “bored people are boring.”

At least it’s not as bad as last year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always admired the quality of your output.

I have also admired the quality of your input, at least those with which I have experience thus far. ;)

Sean said...

Mmmm yeah... Hi Josh, I'm going to need you to come in this Saturday, yeah. And did you get that memo on the TPS reports? Your Resource Node has been having some troubles with those. Mmmm yeah... thanks.

Oh and by the way I'm going to need your stapler. And your soul. Yeah, and your will to live. Thanks.